On-line Security Issues
Why do I choose WebTrade?
Today,you enter a new era of investment by using KGI,the exciting mix of
finance and information technology.
- It is the most convenient way to trade - you can make and manage your
round-the-clock investments through the Internet.
- It provides instant access to the latest market news and real-time quotes.
- You are entitled to low commission rates.
- You can obtain margin financing services for selective stocks on the market.
- You can tap into a wealth of full market resources by using the various
professional trading and analytic tools to enable you to make better-informed
Now, KGI brings you an integrated on-line multi-market platform that empowers
you to tap into the Hong Kong, China B, Taiwan and eventually other regional
and national stock markets with one Trading Account ,anytime and anywhere.
The choking city life might be biting into your time for managing investments.
Or you want to invest in a country but not sure about which stock to put money
in buying. Why not invest in mutual funds? FundSMART lets you choose
from hundreds of mutual funds managed by reputable international fund management
companies. You can accurately identify individual mutual funds that match
your investment criteria with our fund Search Engine. Never will again
you get drowned in an ocean of mutual funds. More important, you can enjoy
special front-load discount every time you make a purchase.
Think: are you a HK Stocks guru but occasionally caught up in the difficult
investment situation? Why don't you refer your questions about specific stocks,
investment strategies or the market in general to experts at KGI? Ben Kwong,
one of Hong Kong's best known market commentators and KGI's Research Department
can patiently answer your queries and give you good advice on the market on-line.
I open an account with KGI?
How do I obtain
the Account Opening Form to open an account?
How should I configure
my PC for the maximum performance of the website?
Why do we launch e-Cert service?
To increase the degree of WebTrade security, we continuously co-operate
with Hongkong Post Certification Authority launching the e-Cert service to
create a safer online trading environment for our valued clients.
Why do we choose Hongkong Post Certification Authority ("CA")?
Hongkong Post Certification Authority is a recognized Certification Authority
under the Electronic Transactions Ordinance ("ETO"), Cap.553. The Hongkong
Post e-Cert is a recognized digital certificates issued by the Postmaster
General of the Hong Kong Post Office in accordance with the requirements of
the ETO and Code of Practice for Recognized Certification Authority.
In addition, Hongkong Post CA has a strict authentication process for verification
of the identity of the subscribers to provide an infrastructure for secure
e-commerce. Details of authentication procedures are available from the Hongkong
Post Certification Practice Statement (CPS) at www.hongkongpost.gov.hk.
Can I use the Hongkong Post e-Cert service to gain access to
The e-Cert service applies to KGI Trading Account holders who have already
applied the e-Cert (personal) certificates by Hongkong Post.
How do I apply for the e-Cert service?
Applicants can download an e-Cert (Personal) Application Form at www.hongkongpost.gov.hk
or get a copy and submit the completed form in person at any post office.
If you have received an e-Cert embedded into your smart ID card as well as
your e-Cert PIN, please complete an online process to accept the e-Cert service
How do I register the e-Cert and access WebTrade?
By using an e-Cert issued by Hongkong Post Certification Authority and once
register through KGI's website, you can infinitely use an e-Cert to log in
to WebTrade to place orders, to amend or cancel buy / sell order instructions,
and to enquire order status etc.
How do I access Web Trade with e-Cert if I am behind a firewall?
If you access the internet through a firewall, please ensure that port 8081
in your firewall is opened.
On-line Security Issues
How secure is WebTrade?
KGI endeavours to provide all our clients with a safe and secure WebTrade
environment. We implement strong electronic security measures using industry-standard
encryption technology and additional proprietary measures. We:
- Require users to enter a login ID and password for accessing personal
account on WebTrade.
- Use 128-bit server technology and recommend use of browsers with 40 or
128-bit, 2-way data encryption technologies (a powerful level of on-line
- Implement the latest firewall technology to protect our computing environment.
- Store client account information in separate computers and Client information
is separated from our Internet servers to provide another layer of protection.
- Set up a backup system. We have backups for all hardware, software and
data to ensure that there is no possible single-point of failure for our
What precautions should I take to protect my account information?
There are a few simple but effective measures you can take to protect your
- Do not disclose your password to anyone, including KGI's staff.
- Do not allow anyone else to use your password.
- Do not write your password on your personal computer or anything near
- Do not write down or record your password without disguising it. Ideally,
your password should be easy for you to remember but difficult for others
to guess so you do not have to write it down.
- Always exit your internet browser completely when you have finished your
trading session. While you need to input your password every time you make
a transaction, someone may be able to view your account information by using
the browser's Back button.
- If you are using a public computer, do not check the ¡§Remember my password¡¨
checkbox. Doing so will allow other users to access your account.
- Change your password regularly. Change it if you suspect that someone
may know your password.
- Should you need to change your password, please login and access "CHANGE
PASSWORD" to follow the instructions.
- Use a hard-to-guess password. Do not use sequential or repetitive numbers,
or easily accessible personal information such as your telephone number,
ID card number or date of birth. Do not use any word in a dictionary or
obvious ones such as your name or the name of your pet.
- Use complex password and update it at least every 3 months:
- Use at least 6 characters
- New password should not be the same as the 3 passwords previously
- Contains at least 2 of the following character groups:
- English uppercase characters (A-Z)
- English lowercase characters (a-z)
- Numerals (0-9)
Should you have any further questions about about WebTrade's safety,
please call our 24-hour InvestLine at (852) 2878-5555.
How do I change the period for automatic timeout in WebTrade?
Based on your preferences, you can select the period for automatic timeout
time (including 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours and 4 hours) in the Automatic
Timeout Setting found under "WebTrade""Other